Thursday, September 11, 2008

After two weeks, finally something other than the same stump speech

So bits and pieces of the ABC interview with Gov. Palin are trickling out on the web and I must say it isn't the complete puff piece that I thought it would be. Its not exactly as hard hitting as I think it should be either, but Gibson didn't give her the total Barbara Walter's soft focus treatment either. At least not in the few clips I've watch and read so far.

He starts in with the biggest question that we should be asking about who each of the candidates has chosen to be their running mate - Is the VP nominee actually qualified to be President?
Sarah Palin on Experience:
GIBSON: Governor, let me start by asking you a question that I asked John McCain about you, and it is really the central question. Can you look the country in the eye and say "I have the experience and I have the ability to be not just vice president, but perhaps president of the United States of America?"

PALIN: I do, Charlie, and on January 20, when John McCain and I are sworn in, if we are so privileged to be elected to serve this country, will be ready. I'm ready.

GIBSON: And you didn't say to yourself, "Am I experienced enough? Am I ready? Do I know enough about international affairs? Do I -- will I feel comfortable enough on the national stage to do this?"

PALIN: I didn't hesitate, no.

GIBSON: Didn' that take some hubris?

PALIN: I -- I answered him yes because I have the confidence in that readiness and knowing that you can't blink, you have to be wired in a way of being so committed to the mission, the mission that we're on, reform of this country and victory in the war, you can't blink.
So I didn't blink then even when asked to run as his running mate.
This exchange is frighteningly Bush-like. No thinking. No humility. Afraid to admit to even a moment of doubt. Personally I don't want someone "wired in a way of being so committed to the mission" that they think the act of BLINKING is a problem. I would hope that after the last eight years the rest of the country would feel the same. Now we know that neither she nor John McCain put very much thought into this decision.

There are limitless examples of great leaders who weren't any less great because they stopped and said "Me? Really? Can/should I actually do this?" Moses and George Washington immediately come to mind. Joe Biden actually admitted that Hillary might have been a better choice than himself yesterday. What is it about the mentality of a large segment of our society that sees that as weak and her and Bush's approach as admirable?

I also really wish Gibson had followed up that with "What is the mission?" "Tell me about this reform, besides earmarks" and please "define victory in the war." There were a whole lot of words there without saying a damn thing.

The section that shows that she isn't ready to be on the national and international stage more than any so far though is when she does not know what the "Bush Doctrine" means and tries to BS her way through the answer. Gibson really calls her out on it. This is the most major shift in US international policy in the last century - Preventative war! and she doesn't even know what he is talking about.

Chances are she'll get a pass on this from many, but if the media and patriots in both parties are honest about this exchange this could and should be the end of the illusion that she is ready to be President of the United States.

Update: Andrew Sullivan and I are on the same wavelength regarding her decision making skills. Read his post George W. Palin.

No comments: