Thursday, January 8, 2009

Westy

One of the photos that I scanned Sunday night is of my sister and her family the day that Allison, her youngest, was baptized at our church. It wasn’t until I viewed the picture on my computer screen that I happened to notice who else was in the picture.


Sadly Harold "Westy" West died on Sunday night. He was 89 years old. He and his wife Eleanor would have celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary this month. He was a ham radio operator who handled the sound system at our church for many years.



Its pretty typical and quite fitting to have captured Westy in the background after worship checking things out and making sure that he knew if anything needed to be addressed before next Sunday’s service. Is the sound system off? Have all the wireless mics been accounted for? Did we need batteries? Did any of the equipment need to be taken home to be fixed?

When I first started in the facility position Westy pulled me aside, had me follow him up to the balcony and showed me the sound board where he controlled the levels on the microphones during the service. I don’t think many people knew that he was back there turning up the volume when someone soft-spoken was liturgist or did Time with Children for “Missy” (as he liked to call Miss Good) and turning them off when the choir sang. He treated it as if it was quite a secret. I was quite honored that he shared that with me. Every once in a while I would sneak a peak up to the balcony to see if he was up there doing his thing during the service and I always enjoyed watching him go through his routine after the service.


He will be missed. Prayers for Eleanor and the rest of the West family.

No comments: