Monday, January 19, 2009

Slowly getting back to normal

This past week I've done a few things that are helping to make life more "normal." For the past nine months I have spent most of my time when I am at home in the same spot on the couch. It has been a bit difficult to differentiate for what purpose I am on the couch. Consequently I have found it difficult to stay on a normal schedule and be productive. Granted, I've had to adjust my perception of what being productive entails. That doesn't change the fact that my "command center," as I started to think of it, was starting to become a hinderance. It was set up so that I could do just about everything from the couch - eat, sleep, work on the computer, watch TV, talk on the phone etc. It was perfect for when I was not able to move easily or without a lot of pain. That time has now passed and it was long overdue that I get back to normal.

There were some things that I needed to take care of first and I have finally done them. When Danielle moved out I let her take the mattress because she couldn't afford a bed. I kept the bed because the bedroom set was my grandfather's. So even though I could have physically moved back to the bedroom a little while ago, I had no mattress on my bed. Thursday I went to Sam's Club and got one. So I've been sleeping in bed for the last 4 nights. The other big change that I still needed to make was to move my computer back to the desk, which I did today.

It got very hard for me to tell whether I was on the couch because it was bed time, time to do work, or time to relax and watch a movie/show. It all became a blur. But now sleeping, working (or using the computer), and relaxing are again separated, each with their designated place.

I'm getting out for my PT appointments twice a week, going in to the church for meetings once or twice on week days and Sundays are my busiest day. I've also been out with friends a few times and am running errands with my parents or with my sister. Its amazing how little things like these (and the changes around the house) can do so much to make me feel human again and not like a patient.

The next big steps will be to lose the crutches and start driving again. I'm not quite there yet, but neither of those things are far off.

No comments: