Sunday, October 12, 2008

Today was a really nice day

It was day 13 for me in the hospital today, which I suppose should be a little depressing, but I had a really nice day. I did miss being at church in the morning, but I kind of feel like church came to me today.

After a relaxing morning I got to spent about an hour on the phone with my cousin Michael from Atlanta. He saw the Allman Brothers Band both Friday and Saturday nights, so I got to hear all about the shows and reminisce about when he and I went to two Allman shows in one weekend a few years back. Next year I'll join him again hopefully. To me seeing a really good live show (or even hearing Michael describe one) can be a religious experience.

Then my parents came for a visit and I couldn't believe what they had with them. The little ones at church made me posters during Sunday school today. Rachel and Allison have been hard at work sending me pictures and cards every time Becky comes to see me. Rachel asked what color my room was and said that she was going to cover every bit of white on the walls before I come home. With the help of the kids at church she actually might get there if I hang everything that I've been sent. On Wednesday night the "Guppy Group" which is a fellowship once a month for elementary school aged kids made me cards too. They were so anxious to make them that several kids didn't wait for actual paper and I've got about 8 cards made on napkins!

So here are some pictures of the posters and drawings in my room-


Then Danielle and Taffy came for a visit. Danielle brought me all the cards that have been getting mailed to the house while I've been in here. I got cards from the Lanengas, the PWC, the Pooles, the Schmitters, Edith Leech, Aunt Sara & Uncle Carmen, the Clampits, Lauren Dhillon & Alice Taylor, the Bowens, Mark, Sharon & Graham, the Morans, the Drydens. Nancy Parker and the Allisons. Thank you all so much. The outpouring of support overwhelms me.

Danielle also brought the care package sent by the Marsico Family and I don't even know where to begin....YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! This was a care package extraordinaire. Great cards and pictures (love the Steeler family portrait - 17 people all in black and gold), tabloid magazine, smelly candle and candy, candy, candy, candy. Boy I'm gonna be on a sugar high for days. I think my favorite is the M&M Candy fan. Not only is this full of M&Ms, but this is an actual battery powered working fan.

Danielle and Taffy got themselves dinner from the cafeteria and brought it up to the room so the three of us could eat dinner together and then we settled in to watch the Amazing Race. It was just like normal except the pets aren't here and I've got tubes coming out of my legs and into my arm. I also got a phone call from LeAnn checking in and then our good friends Craig and Jen came over to join us. All four stayed well past the 8:30 cut off for visiting hours and now I'm just basking in the memory of what a great day I had.

No comments: