Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Quote from Sunday's Sermon

Sunday's sermon from Rev. Bill Hathaway, Pastor of First Presbyterian Annapolis included discussion of Sarah Vowell's book The Wordy Shipmates. I'm not sure when or if I'll get around to reading this book, but I'm so glad that Bill chose to include this in his sermon. The main reason for its inclusion was to share a quote that Sarah Vowell calls "one of the most beautiful sentences in the English language."

'We must delight in each other, make other's conditions our own, rejoice together, mourn together, labor and suffer together, always having before our eyes our commission and community in the work, our community as members of the same body. ' -John Winthrop, Puritan minister and 1st Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony
I love that sentence too. That puts into words, so much better than I ever could hope to, what it means to be the church. I think this is what Jesus was talking about when he told the Pharisees that the two greatest commandments are to love God and to love your neighbor as yourself. That's not to say that it is easy. It certainly is not. But whether you are thinking about a marriage, a friendship, a family, a team, a church, a country or all of humanity that is certainly a standard to strive towards.

Regardless of what you believe or do not believe, whether you identify with a specific faith tradition or none at all I think you'll agree that there is an interconnectedness to our world and to all of our relationships. Life is so much better, and things go more smoothly when we act accordingly.

That is definitely what I get out of working, worshiping, and participating in the community that is First Presbyterian of Annapolis. I only wish that I was giving back anywhere near what I am getting from them. My goal in life is to "pay forward" the support, care, encouragement and love that God has graced me with through this church (and through my family and friends).

No comments: