Thursday, December 11, 2008

Are you in the Christmas spirit yet?

If not perhaps this will help-



No Christmas music quite signals that it is Christmas to me as does the TV special that John Denver did with the Muppets back in 1979 - A Christmas Together. This has been a family favorite since it originally aired. Becky and I got the LP from the library the year that it first aired and it has been a staple ever since. The librarian even let her keep the poster that was included with the album since we were the first to check it out and they had no desire to keep it. We've all (parents, sister and me) upgraded our copies to CD versions, but I could no more do without these songs than I could go without a tree.

For some reason it has never been released for sale as a VHS or DVD. You can find bootleg versions for sale online, but most state that the video and sound quality is not up to today's standards (like this YouTube clip). I keep checking each year to see if a digitally re-mastered DVD has been released, but after almost 30 years I'm not holding my breath.

There are several old standards like this song included, but also some that I had never heard anywhere else that are among my favorites of all Christmas music like It's in Everyone of Us, The Peace Carol, and The Christmas Wish. I will undoubtedly be sharing more of these in the next two weeks. In the mean time do yourself a favor and grab a copy of the CD for yourself. I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

No comments: