Monday, March 23, 2009

Wanna go see a folk music legend tonight?

I had my usual busy Sunday with Confirmation Class and worship in the morning and then home for some down time and preparation before heading back to church for Youth Fellowship. The last of the youth had left and I was just turning off lights and locking up the building and heading to my car when my phone rang.

It was my friend Patrice who joined our church this year. We quickly found out that we had similar musical tastes. She and Jim (with whom she lives, also a friend from church) and I are going to see the Dead in DC in April. So Patrice calls to say that she has an extra ticket to see Richie Havens tonight and would I like to go? I couldn't believe it. This man opened the Woodstock festival in 1969. I've been a fan ever since I first saw the documentary on PBS when I was a kid. His voice is unmistakable and he strums his accoustic guitar like his life depends on it. He does versions of Joe Cocker's You Are So Beautiful, The Beatles' Here Comes the Sun, and several Bob Dylan Songs that make you forget that anyone else ever recorded them. They simply become Richie Havens' songs.

So not only do I get a surprise invitation to see someone who I've always wanted to see, but this show was at the Ram's Head On Stage, which is a small (less than 500 seat) venue and our table was against the stage. Our seats were as good, if not better than whoever shot this video below.

The opening act, Harry Manx was also really good and my buddy Doug would have died over the selection of guitars that he had - including a home made one out of a cigar box and two old oak broom handles.

After a second encore, they anounced that Mr. Havens would be coming out after the show to sign CDs, posters, etc., so Patrice and I both got our ticket stubs signed, got to shake his hand and chat for a minute or two. What a night!

This was filmed in late 2008...


And from Woodstock....

No comments: