Friday, May 30, 2008

My New Torture Device

This is the JAS Splint that I will now be wearing three times a day. JAS stands for Joint Active System and this will enable me to do what happens in physical therapy at home. I will be able to move my knee into a bent position and the splint will hold it there. The woman's hand is on a crank that increases (or decreases) the degree of bend.

To check out the literature from the company's web site click here.

It looks pretty medieval, but apparently because you do it yourself at home you can be more gradual. Therefore it should not cause near the pain of an actual therapy appointment where someone is physically pushing for 5 to 10 minutes a couple times a week. Of course I'll still be doing that too, so this is in addition to and not in place of PT. I'm hopeful that the combination will yield good results.

I don't actually have it yet. I was measured for it yesterday and the order was placed, so I'll write again when I actually start to use it and let everyone know what I think after some first hand experience.

No comments: