Monday, June 16, 2008

Latest Doctor's Appointment

It's been six weeks since I last saw Dr. Ove, so I had a follow up appointment today. Started out with the usual x-rays to see how things are healing and actually had them taken in a standing position for a change. Dr. Ove wasn't thrilled with how the top of my tibia looked (the side that was crushed) and is obviously concerned that I'm not able to bend it very far still. He started talking about some pretty drastic steps, but wants to give the JAS splint a chance to work. So I have until July 14th and then it looks like he is going to recommend manipulation, which is a fancy way of saying knock me out and force my knee to bend while I'm unconscious.

Clinically, manipulation is defined as using techniques to force a joint beyond its presumed physiological barrier and up to its anatomical barrier. Essentially these techniques are beyond the conscious control of the patient. In other words, once the manipulation has been initiated it can’t be stopped. Joint manipulation involves sudden, high velocity thrusting type movements that are often accompanied by an audible clicking, cracking or popping sound. (source)
He also said that even if I get the range of motion gains by manipulation (or on my own) that I may still have a great deal of pain due to the amount of damage within the joint from the initial injury. From day one he always said that a knee replacement was in my future, but he was talking about 10-15 years and now he is starting to sound like it may be much sooner than that. It sounded as if he was wrestling with whether or not that would be something he may be recommending very soon. So for my part I'm going to continue to do my exercises twice a day and use the JAS splint three times a day and hope for the best. We'll see where things stand in a month and find out what Dr. Ove recommends.

There were some positive developments too though. Dr. Ove said that since the bone is healed that I didn't have to wear the knee brace anymore. It provides stability and support, but even though it is hinged I can bend my knee much more without it on. The other positive development is that I can now also walk with only one crutch. This is something that Jessica tried to have me do weeks ago and I was unable to do it. Friday I decided to give it a try again since my leg is so much stronger and I was able to do it. So I don't need to be waited on nearly as much. I can carry my own dish from the kitchen to the table or get myself a drink without it needing to be in a travel coffee mug. Little things yes, but progress that helps my moral.

No comments: