Sunday, August 1, 2010

Time Flies When You Are Having Fun

Man this summer has just been flying by and there have been some major events and milestones since my last post.

Our youth group trip to Philadelphia was absolutely amazing. The folks at Broad Street Ministry are doing amazing things and it was such a great experience for us to get to work with them and meet the people of Philly. The main down side was how brutally hot the week was and the fact that the church is not air conditioned. We worked hard, sweated A LOT, and had lots of fun too. We had one free afternoon and went out for Cheese Steaks and also ran the steps at the art museum just like Rocky (OK, I was not exactly running like Rocky, but I did manage to hobble all the way up the steps and do the classic victorious pose at the top like I've wanted to do since elementary school!)



Starting 4th of July weekend, I spent a week on vacation with my family at Bethany Beach. Bethany put on a fantastic firework display on the beach and then a really nice parade the next day. I'm still partial to Deep Creek Lake, but I love swimming in the ocean and honestly as long as our family is together we could be in the middle of nowhere and it would be fun.

I thoroughly enjoyed my annual obsession with le Tour de France and geeked out with my Twitter friends following the PC(USA) General Assembly via their posts from the meeting and following the live streaming feed whenever I could. This gathering occurs every two years and is the national forum where our denomination discusses, debates and votes on the big issues facing our church and the world - gay marriage, ordination standards, the Middle East, etc.

I returned from vacation and assisted with Vacation Bible School at church. I helped coordinate youth volunteers who did a skit each morning for the children, ran games, and assisted adult leaders with their groups. I also lead worship for the children the final day of the week. Five half hour sessions back to back with 12-15 kids in each group. Its a whirlwind of activity, exhausting and one of my favorite weeks each year that I have worked at the church.

I finally had my hearing with the Workers' Compensation Commission to determine my permanent impairment and the financial award insurance will pay to compensate me for the current state of my leg. After the reports of two doctors and the testimony before the commission they have decided that I have a 60% loss of use of my right leg as a result of my accident. Basically, I'm not going to get rich as a result of this decision, but I should be able to finish seminary relatively, if not completely debt free (my disability award combined with other grants and scholarships that I will be receiving). I'd trade my leg function for debt in a heartbeat, but since that is not a choice that I am able to make I'll take the financial benefit.

I hit the big 4-0 a week ago. That combined with going away send-offs has had me celebrating daily and savoring every moment that I can with friends, co-workers and family. It has been a blast. My family threw a party for me last weekend that was to be a BBQ at our community beach, but mother nature had other ideas. A huge storm hit minutes after we finished setting up and shortly before the first guest arrived, so we relocated the party to my parent's house. It was so much fun to see all of my different circles of friends together in one place - co-workers, church members, youth group teens, karaoke buddies, life long friends, neighbors and my family.

On my actual birthday I got to go sailing out on the bay with my good friends the Rizzo's. Check out his blog post about our sail and for some great photos.

This morning was my last day as Director of Youth Ministries at First of Annapolis. I was commissioned during the worship service to go to seminary and they had an ice cream social afterward for me. They even ended the service with one of my favorite Ben Harper songs for the postlude. At the reception I received lots of cards, hugs, a set of Anglican prayer beads made by the youth, BibleWorks software for exegesis, and a generous financial gift. I am going to miss everyone so much, but am really getting excited for my move and to start school.

This week will be filled with packing, dump runs, and final get togethers and farewells.

I am truly blessed.

No comments: